Dear parents, here is what you should know before you allow your teenager to get a piercing. Teenagers express themselves in different ways and piercing is one of the most popular modern ways of showing your personality. Nowadays, girls do no just pierce their earlobes. Today, both boys and girls pierce their whole ears, lips, noses, eyebrows, tongues, cheeks, bellybuttons and many other body parts.
Most of the studios where piercings are made do not allow (or they must not allow) to people under 18 years to get a piercing without their parent’s permission. Before you give permission to your child to get a piercing, learn some things to make sure that everything will be okay.
Find out more about the piercing studio
Most of the piercing studios are not regulated and the whole responsibility lies on you. You should make sure that the studio that you have chosen is following the necessary hygiene rules. In case you feel uncomfortable in the studio and the specialists there do not answer all your questions, do not hesitate to go and find another one.
Here are the main things that you should be careful about:
- The studio must be clean.
- The instruments that are used should be packed. In case the studio does not use disposable instruments, it should have a sterilizer for them.
- Make sure that the person who is going to make the piercing washes his hands with an antibacterial soap before putting his disposable gloves for the procedure.
- The needle, used for the piercing should be new, unused. In some studios are used the so called “pistols”, but they also disposable.
- The other kinds of pistols are not recommended.
- Visit a few studios in order to gather information about the way they work.
Pay attention to every detail of the work in order to make the right choice for you child.
The procedure of making a piercing
As you know, piercing is a perforation of the skin made by a needle. In the perforated place, an earring is being put. A normal making of a piercing is done in this way:
- The body part which is going to be pierced has to be cleaned with antibacterial soap in order to get rid of the bacteria which might cause an infection.
- The skin should be perforated with a clean and sharp needle.
- The sterilized jewel is put in the perforated part.
- The used needle and everything else which has blood on it is being put in a garbage bag.
- The pierced zone is being cleaned with an ointment on antibacterial or alcohol basis.
- The jewel is being adjusted in the right place.
- The professional who has made the piercing should give you some instructions on how to treat your piercing and keep it clean and harmless for your health. He should also tell you how to deal with some problems that might occur.
There are some potential problems that might occur after the piercing is done, such as continuous bleeding, scars, hepatitis, purulence or nerve damage.
Even if you take good care of your piercing, it could still get an infection. Some parts of the body, especially the mouth and the nose, where thousands of bacteria live, are likely to be infected very easily. If an infection occurs, the particular place gets bloodshot, it becomes painful and warm and it might get purulence. The infection must be treated with some medicine or coated with some antibacterial ointment. Your doctor will advise you what the best thing to use is. After you deal with the infection, it is necessary to see a doctor again. The mouth piercings – on the lips, cheeks or the tongue could cause damage to the teeth or gums problem. For the tongue piercing, the increased amount of saliva is a normal reaction.
People who have keloid should avoid the piercing. Keloids are a formation of hard tissues in the area of the wound.
People who suffer from heart diseases and the ones who have allergies, skin problems or diabetes should be really careful with the piercing too.
It is recommended that such people consult with a doctor before getting a piercing.
Some people are allergic to particular kinds of metal. Here are the metals that should be used for piercings: only nontoxic metals, such as surgical stainless steel, platinum, titanium and massive 14-18 carats gold. The jewel should be replaced after the piercing heals. All the jewels should be disinfected before placed in the pierced place.
Process of healing
The time of healing could last two weeks or sometimes even more than a year, depending on the place that has been pierced.
Taking good care of the piercing is very important:
- Do not pull the jewel on your piercing.
- Do not touch your piercing with unwashed hands.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide on the piercing. It could damage the tissue which is trying to shape itself.
- Tongue piercings should be cleaned with antibacterial mouth water which does not contain alcohol, especially after every meal.
In case there is a problem with your piercing, even if it is a small one, you should immediately see a doctor. Taking the right care of your piercing is something that you should do all the time.
Some kids would prefer not telling their parents about their piercing and asking a friend to make it. They would rather choose the dangerous way than asking for permission. That is why, dear parents, talk to your children about the dangers of getting a piercing from non-specialist. There are plenty of awful pictures and articles on the Internet, showing the problems, caused by piercings.